Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike

As one of my friends so nicely explained: Mother Nature wasn't sure what to give a science teacher for her 40th birthday... maybe a hurricane? Welcome Hurricane Ike. Ike has already made it possible for me to have the day off (that's a nice gift!).

I am fighting the urge to drive down to the coast to see the waves and high tide.


Despite what you may be hearing, our officials have asked us to shelter in place. The dire, life-or-death warnings are intended for Galveston Island which has been under a mandatory evacuation order since Thursday morning.


We expect to get winds of 70 mph during the night tonight or early on Saturday morning. Structural damage does not occur until winds reach 95 mph. We will have some tree damage and although we only have 1 tree, our neighbors have lots of big ones. Our biggest concern will be power outages (no ac) and torrential rains causing flooding. Our home sits in a relatively high area, so we should be dry, but may not be able to go anywhere.


Keep checking back and I'll post pix so you can see the changes.


9:00 a.m. September 12, 2008.


No wind yet and just some very high, thin clouds.







We are picking up things that might get caught in the wind and blow around. Patio furniture, planters, etc. in the garage. Firewood tarped down. Basketball goal laying down. I'm worried about my beans. they are 12" tall and may get stripped by the wind.

1 comment:

Rebecca and Co. said...

Happy Birthday, Kim! Yes, I will be checking back all day to see if you have any updates. I'm praying for you!