Sunday, December 2, 2007

Editorial & Debate...please join in!

If your news has been taken hostage by Britney's troubles, you may not have heard of the great science education debate regarding teaching of evolution versus intelligent design. I have watched it with varying degrees of interest and opinions because it didn't directly effect me. That ended on Nov. 4th, when the Texas Education Agency forced the resignation of Chris Comer, the state director of science, over this same issue. (search net for: chris comer texas)

My opinion has been and continues to be that our God designed such a marvelous world with such forethought and attention to detail, that humans will spend eternity discovering all the many miracles that make it work. In my opinion, evolution is one of those miracles that allow species to adapt to changing forces and is a part of His plan. That being said, I in no way believe that one of the miracles involves humans evolving from another species.

My real moral struggle over this issue is do I want to be forced to teach either of these theories?

I have to say that I would prefer not to teach either (total neutrality). As a second choice I would give equal time to each and label them as theories.

The issue at the base of all this is the issue of free agency - that same issue that we all fought valiantly in support of in the pre-existence, and should continue to support today, while living as examples of Christ. I believe that all people should have the chance to choose for themselves and that involves allowing freedom of information and ideas so that one can educate himself/herself and thus choose wisely. Censorship of information and ideas can only lead to less freedom and further bondage.

Okay, now that I've said my piece, feel free to leave comments regarding your stance on this issue. I will always love and respect my family and friends. I reserve the right to change my opinion if yours brings to light information I had not considered.

3 comments:

Rebecca and Co. said...

When I was in middle school in earth science, our teacher taught all the different theories of the earth's genesis--big bang, etc. In my mind, I knew what was the truth (creation) and had no problem learning about the other views. So I'd have to say that teaching both theories to your elementary students would definitely be the way I'd go--telling them that there are different ways to look at it, that kind of thing. You know the Greeks made up a whole new way to answer life's questions (mythology) and none of us believe that today, so .... I guess I'm say that hopefully your students will be strong enough to respect differing opinions.

I think that not teaching it at all would be great, if that's an option, b/c of the kids' ages. They can learn more of that in middle school, imo.

So that's my 2 cents worth.

Aaron Kawakami said...

Well, being that it is a scientifical subject, I feel that time should be spent on the theory of evolution and how it came to be with mentions that many believe in a grand design by a great creator.
I was a little taken aback when I was taught evolution, but I just remembered that this is what some men have been able to comprehend and understand, and that's all it is, man's way of understanding what they want to know.

Mopsie said...

I totally agree with you, Kim, and appreciate the eloquent way you worded it. (Evolution is a part of the plan of creation, etc.) I also think that informed minds are best, and that since not everyone accepts the RIGHT answer, all theories should be presented, explained, and then left alone. I can't believe someone lost his job over this. How narrow-minded can administration get???
Glad to read new stuff on the blog, as we enjoy keeping up with you all. How's Nate?